Sunday 8 December 2013

Mini Adventure #2: The Edale Skyline

My second mini-adventure started with an unwelcome alarm at 6 am on Saturday morning signalling the need to get out of my nice warm bed in time to get over to Edale in time to see the sun rise. I was planning to run the route of the Edale Skyline,  an annual fell race race of 21 miles and 1400 m of ascent, starting at Edale and hugging the skyline around the valley.

I crawled out of bed, got some porridge and coffee down me and headed off in to the Peaks. After some minor unplanned detours due to a road closure and a stupid car park ticket machine not wanting to let me buy a ticket until 8 am, I set off from the car pack by Mam Tor (just missing the first bits of the sunrise as a result of that ticket machine!). 


There was biting wind but I warmed up quickly, gaining a bit of height getting up onto the ridge and then quickly getting cold again as I got the camera out – couldn’t resist, it was a stunning morning.  The ridge took me up over Lords Seat and after a bit of indecision as to the best route to take over to Brown Knoll I found the path.  This section is hard going over the bog (good training for the sand!) and I wished it had been a little colder over the preceding days as there was only a thin skin of ice over the peat.  I can be a real wimp when it comes to first getting my feet wet, so there was a bit of fannying about trying to keep my feet dry. Once even a tiny dibble of water gets into my shoes I don’t care anymore and will run through anything – you would have thought I’d have grown out of this by now!


Anyway it was a beautiful morning, I had only the grouse and skylarks for company and I was buzzing – definitely worth getting out if bed for. Once I had got by feet wet I was really enjoying the terrain – not moving terribly fast it has to be said, but this wasn’t about speed. I got up onto Brown knoll, had a quick breather (not the first I have to confess, but the earlier stops were mainly driven by photo opportunities), and headed off over towards Kinder – more fun bog and then… out on to a walkers motorway – not nearly so much fun! I met my first people on my way up toward Kinder Low – all nice and cheery having been up for the lovely rise too.

I briefly departed from the route here to pop up to the trig point on Kinder Low.  I’ve only ever been up on Kinder Scout in the cloud so I was curious to get a view over the plateau – and this was supposed to be about exploring after all.

After this point the trail becomes quite rocky with lots of amazing weathered rock formations in a strangely alien looking landscape. I may have been hallucinating, but I was sure I saw what looked like the outline of a family in one of the formations (sculpture not real of course – I’m not that loopy yet). There was a really fun bit with the trail going between the rock in a formation, with some rock acting as stepping stones over a small gully. I was glad I wasn’t doing this bit in the dark!

After a couple of miles I reached the path split down to Edale and having been robbed my opportunity to do the route from the correct start point by the stupid ticket machine, decided I had to go down to the bottom of the valley to make sure I didn’t miss any height gain. The sensible people out for their Saturday walk evidently thought I was out of my mind as I passed them for the second time on my way back up.

As a reward I stopped back on the top for a little lunch and to take in the view. Then set off again round the edge of the moor with a wide open view over to Win Hill. The downhill stretch was lovely but I realised on the way back up again that I hadn’t been quite vigilant enough with my sugar and suddenly found myself very grumpy at the path for daring to go upwards, however gently. That uphill seemed to take ages (I wasn’t moving very fast) but the views were lovely and the sun surprisingly strong. From the top of Win Hill it was a quick (or not so quick) downhill into Hope, past the Cheshire Cheese Pub which looked far too inviting. The final uphill was a 300 m ascent up to the top of Loose Hill, which wasn’t too far but it felt like a very long way with my knackered legs. The views were definitely worth it though, and I could see the entire route.  From there it was just a last couple of miles along the ridge back up to Mam Tor, into the sun. I was rewarded with some spectacular views of some hang-gliders to finish off with.

No comments:

Post a Comment