Thursday 28 November 2013

Back to Back Runs: 4 x 12 miles

Last weekend I did my first set of back to back runs on the run up to the MdS. I have put together a set of training 'elements' that I want to tick off in my training that cover different attributes of the end event , and back to back runs are on my tick list to help me train for the multi-stage aspect of the MdS. Running day after day requires the body and mind to recover quickly and I definitely found that the couple of back-to-backs I did in training for The Wall really helped. If nothing else, they forced my to practice my recovery routine which I like to think I have reasonably well honed by now (compression sleeves and milkshake as soon after finishing as possible).

So... Back-to-back set #1 - four 12 mile runs over 4 days - ok so not really quite proper back-to-back, a little too much time in between them... Ah well, going in the right direction though. I definitely felt that I gained momentum over the runs (I originally intended to do three, closer together) but my legs felt in good enough fettle so I thought I might as well keep going.

Now 12 miles in itself isn't terribly far, not much farther than a normal mid-week run, however, it is the repeated drain on the legs and body day after day that I need to get used to. I will scale up the distance, aiming to do three 25 mile runs in three days towards the end of February - that should be a little more taxing and hopefully I'll be prepared for it when I get there!

I didn't go anywhere interesting to do these runs (12 miles hardly seems far enough to get anywhere anymore!) - I just did some pretty boring loops round home to reduce the faffing involved getting ready for and getting back from the runs and maximise fun time the rest of the weekend. Only problem is the energy drain over repeated days and I have a habit of not eating enough which isn't very helpful! I suppose good training for when I have limited food during the event but not the best for real life!





No comments:

Post a Comment