Monday 16 December 2013

Back to Back Runs: 15 + 10 + 15 miles

So this set of back-to-back runs was originally supposed to be three 15 milers but I had the opportunity to head out to the seaside to run up some dunes on Saturday, and I wasn't sure my poor little legs could cope with doing the whole 15 miles on the sand with my rucksack so I stuck with a few less miles in the middle.

I have got quite used to go heading out for my runs after work in the dark now, but it is just a little bit more difficult on a Friday when everyone else is heading out to the pub! Anyway I got my first 15 out the way nice and easily running near home. Then it was up early on Saturday morning to meet one of my colleagues at Formby beach for to run up and down some dunes. This is another place that isn't far away from home but I've never been before, nor would it probably occurred to me if I hadn't been looking for some sandy terrain to train on, so it was great to have an excuse to visit.

The first few meters on the sand were decidedly uncomfortable - while my legs felt fine on solid ground, I could really feel the extra effort of moving over the sand, particularly with a few kilos on my back.* We started running up an over every dune we came across, managing a blistering 14 and 17 minute miles for the first 2 miles. This did include a certain amount of route finding  but nonetheless progress was not fast! The ups were tough, often on all fours and once on top we were greeted by amazing views down the coast over the dunes in the winter sun. The downs were a lot of fun and I felt the need to provide a suitably silly accompanying soundtrack on my way down - I'm never really going to grow up!

After three miles or so of grueling dunes, scratchy grasses and nasty spiky plants we ran out of dunes and carried on for a couple of miles (ish) down the beach to take in a little more distance before turning back into the wind. It  had seemed a nice gentle breeze on the way out but suddenly seemed 10 times stronger running back, picking up sand and blowing it in our faces as it went - our very own scouse sand storm! Not fun getting sand in your eyes - definitely need a good pair of wrap-around sunglasses for the MdS. We headed back into the dunes and made it back to the car having done just over 9 miles - quite enough for me!

The next morning I was up and dreading the next installment. In the end though it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I had expected. Once I had got my legs going and used to the weight of the pack again it was almost even pleasurable! My legs were tired but didn't seem to have any problems plodding along and I enjoyed a few loops round Salford Quays, dodging a few thousand santas the were pouring in from Old Trafford on the way. I even managed to build in a little more exploration, down the side of the River Irwell on my way back which, while not the prettiest on an overcast December day was interesting, and there is some impressive graffiti (not sure I'd want to head down there on my own with my camera though).

So next set of back-to-backs done and not too sore for it - may have been slow but got some good terrain and a good chunk of distance in, lets hope I keep it up!

*A note on the training pack

I've been using my smaller Inov8 pack (RacePac 16) which is very comfy and made of the same materials as the larger version I'm planning to use in the race. For weight I've been carrying 1.5 litres of water, an old Good Beer Guide wrapped up in a hoodie, supplemented with as much additional clothing and odds and sods I can fit in. Not sure how much it weighs (need to weigh it over xmas!) but I think I'm moving in the right direction and I have a few more iterations of the Good Beer Guide to add as we go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment