Sunday 14 July 2013

Wall Run - Learning points (Kit)

I haven’t been running too much over the last 3 weeks or so, so there’s not much to report on that front. I have found since I’ve started running marathons, spending 3 or 4 months training for a specific event, that I tend to have a down period afterwards, loosing concentration a bit. While that hasn’t mattered too much in the past, it is going to matter more now, with the goal further away with many practice events in the meantime.

So, while it is still (sort of!) fresh in my mind it thought it would be a good idea to jot down some thoughts on what I learnt from my first ultra and multiday race and get my mind back on track. One of the main reasons for wanting to do The Wall was to learn something about ultra-distance events with enough time to use it to help shape my training and kit choices.

What it has also done is given me confidence. It has shown that I can cover distances that I previously thought were almost beyond comprehension, and get up the next morning feeling (though tired) that I could go out and do another stage. Definitely positive stuff!

So what exactly did I learn? Probably easiest to split this up…

Kit

I tried using some of the kit I’m hoping to use in the MdS. The main bit of kit I was texting were my compression shorts of the 2XU variety. Reading around I had seen these recommended for use in the desert so and they seemed to be pretty popular so I thought I’d give them a try. I’m pleased to say they were very comfortable (no sign of any unwanted friction). I don’t really know how much the compression helped as I have no experience to compare it to, but the support on my quads did definitely help over the miles.
On my top half I used a Helly Hansen Dry top – I have been running in these on fells for a long time and have always been very comfy and it did its job well here as well. I’m not sure about their SPF however – an important factor in the Sahara, so this might need some investigation.

The socks were hilly twinskins. My feet generally stayed in good condition and I only changed socks at the overnight stop. The only issue was a big blister on the inside of my big toe which I only discovered when I took my shoes off after I’d finished. Unfortunately while the twinskins do seem to work week, they are probably a bit thick and warm for the desert – they’re pretty toasty in the UK! I think the way forward is probably some thin toe socks which will minimise friction between my toes which will be a particularly good thing with sand about.

For hydration I used my Camelbak bladder which was good (very convenient to drink from) but maybe a bit fragile and unhygienic for the desert – it would be a bit of a disaster if it started leaking. It is also more difficult to know how much you have left and it takes longer to refill. I think I’ll stick with bottles.

More to follow on recovery, training and nutrition…

No comments:

Post a Comment