Monday 1 July 2013

The Wall - Part 1

On Sunday 23rd of June I completed my first Ultra distance event, The Wall ultramarathon, a 69 mile race across the north of England, from Carlisle Castle to the Baltic Quay in Gateshead. There was the option to do this in one (Expert class) or two days (Challenger class), and I am very glad I decided to go with the latter. The rationale behind choosing this option (other than me being a wimp) was that it would be good practice running along way (32 miles) one day, sleeping in a tent stuck in the shape of a sleeping bag overnight, and getting up and running another long way (37 miles) the next morning.

Day 1

I am fortunate enough to have grown up in Northumberland and I was able to persuade my parents to drive me over to Carlisle the morning of the race. I arrived in time to drop my bag to be taken to the half way point at Vindolanda and make my way into the castle with half an hour to spare before the start at 8 am. The crazy people taking on the whole distance in the Expert class started an hour earlier and by the time I made my way into the castle there were plenty of people milling around. I felt a moment of intimidation as I looked around at all these very fit and experienced looking people, but I soon got chatting to some people nearby as I debated if I should pin my number to the front of my top or onto by rucksack, and if my timing chip needed to go around my neck or could go in my bag.



It turned out that they were newbies as well which was comforting, and we got chatting about the challenge ahead. I also got chatting to a friendly gentleman call John who, I noticed had a Raidlight bag that looked very much like the ‘standard’ MdS bag, with a Union Jack sewn on to it. It turned out he had done the MdS four years previously and was very patient with my sudden barrage of questions. I also bumped into a pair of fellow (but infinitely more experienced) Challengers I met in the registration queue the previous day. I started to realise that there was no need to be intimidated; the atmosphere was so much more friendly and relaxed than at all the road races I have done previously. Some people new to this scale of challenge and others old hands but all in it together for the long journey over to Newcastle.

After a short introduction and brief we were sent on our way, moving slowly together out of the castle gates (and despite a warning about trip hazards on the way out I managed to almost go flying 10 metres over the start line!). The route took us onto the banks of the River Eden and out of Carlisle into the country side. I found it difficult to know if I was going at the right pace, my fresh legs wanting to speed my forward past people, and my head trying to rein them in. After 5 miles or so I fell into step behind pair of very amiable gentlemen and got into a comfortable rhythm. We continued to see each other passing each other every now and again for the most of the remainder of the day. I loved meeting people, albeit briefly sometimes, as I went along. 
 
After 15 miles we reached the first pit stop at Lanercost Priory where there was great support from the spectators that had gathered to meet runners they knew. I had not expected it at all, and it really gave me a boost. I quickly got a couple of cups of fluid, a banana and some peanuts (which have never tasted so good) down me and carried on… just 17 miles and few hills to go before the camp at Vindolanda. The elevation profile of the route is such that the first day has a net height gain and the second a net height loss, with the majority of the first day’s height being gained over a couple of long steep hills in the second stage. To my surprise I didn’t really mind the hills, in fact they presented a very good excuse to walk and use some different muscles.

At the top of the first hill soon after the first pit stop we got our first sight of the Wall, the remains of a turret and a short section of wall. Despite having visited more eastern bits of the wall many times over the years as I was growing up I don’t remember ever having seen this part of the wall, and the next few miles along the road past sections of wall to Birdoswald Fort and Greenhead. It was great to be discovering new areas so close to home.

I kept going, feeling remarkably energetic and in a comfortable rhythm all the way to Greenhead wondering if my energy was causing me to overdo it a bit, knowing very well that that energy could evaporate in a second. I knew from experience of the area that there was a long and very steep hill up out of Greenhead, and it turned out to be even longer than I remember it being! I got to the top of it maintaining a reasonable walking pace, though I was not pleased to discover at the check point at Walltown Quarry a short while after that there were another 8 miles to go which for some reason suddenly seemed like a long way away! I was starting to flag a little at this point, but set off again after the usual couple of mouthfuls of fluid and a handful of jelly beans. In retrospect these last 8 miles were the nicest of the day, up in proper Wall country with great views and a break from pounding the tarmac, though I wasn't really thinking along these lines at the time. The last 4 or 5 miles I just wanted it to finish and I was very glad when we started to see supporters by the side of the track leading into Vindolanda.

I was absolutely knackered with I finished and couldn't have contemplated going any further. I have a huge amount of respect for all those people carrying on to Newcastle. I got my soup and sat down to rest for a little before going to find my bag and put up my tent, drinking it slowly to let my stomach adjust (it had been feeling a little churned up for the last few miles). It was just before 2 pm and I had until 8 am to wander about, get a massage, relax and do my best to recover for the next 37 miles.

Tents at the overnight camp - that dark hill in the background on the right is the first challenge of the second day - we had plenty of time to admire it!


No comments:

Post a Comment