Wednesday 19 June 2013

Back to Back Runs Prep, and other Wall Run training

Since doing the Manchester Marathon at the end of April I have more or less followed the suggested training plan on the Wall Run website, which by the looks of it is designed for someone new to ultra marathons – perfect for me! My maximum mileage has been just under 60 miles, further than I have done in the past when marathon training and it hasn't seemed to cause any problems. During the week days I haven’t strayed too far from my previous marathon routine, though with a higher sustained weekly mileage. The main difference has been with the long runs, doing the main distance runs every other week.

As suggested by the plan I did a 30 miler (see separate post) four weeks before the race, and I have done a couple of back to back training runs, a couple of weeks either side, one 12+12 miles, and another 15+12 miles. I organised these by doing the first on the Friday evening and the second on the following morning, trying to keep less than 12 hours between them. I could feel that I was running on tired legs on the second run, but in the scheme of things they didn't seem too bad. I guess being used to longer distances in individual runs helps put the shorter ones into perspective.

I’ve done all the long runs with a pack, attempting to use a greater weight than I’ll be carrying in the Wall Run on the assumption that it is better to be used to a heavier pack than a lighter one! Anyway, I’ll have to carry a significantly heavier pack during the MdS so the earlier l get used to increased weights when running, the better.


So training down, only the race to go! Should be an interesting learning experience... and hopefully at least a bit of fun! (the weather is looking a little wet though..)

No comments:

Post a Comment