Thursday 9 January 2014

MdS Training Elements

As part of my training planning I've isolated as many of the different training aspects needed to cover the attributes of the MdS (heat, sand etc.) as I could think of and identified what I can do to train for each one. They fit into one of four groups: climate, terrain, distance (multi-day running) and speed/strength. Below is what I have come up with....


Climate

Clearly one of the most significant elements to contend with is the heat. The two ways I have come up with to train myself for the heat are hot yoga, and training in the gym with warm layers and a hat (and looking spectacularly silly!).  The majority of the attention I'll pay to this is in the last couple of months running up to the MdS, however I have started running on the treadmill with thermal layers on (up to 5 miles or so) to get used to running with my core temperature raised. I'll increase the frequency and distance over the next three months or so.


Terrain

From everything that I have read, the terrain varies from flat rocky lake beds to 1000m high mountains to tall sand dunes. Flat, hard ground isn't too difficult to train for in a city- there are lots of pavements to pound. The mountains and dunes require a little more effort to train for however. For the dunes, I have been out to the coast to practice running on sand on repeated inclines and have another two or three trips planned before the MdS. For the mountains have a few weekends in the lakes planned so I can get some long days in the fells. I particularly want to get practice walking fast uphill with a pack on as I am not expecting to be running up any steep inclines in the desert!

Distance

There are two elements to this one: outright distance (non-stop) and repeated long distance runs (back-to-backs). I have been increasing the maximum distance (and time on my feet) up to a maximum 45 miles on the Country to Capital race this weekend.

For back to back training, I started with 3 x 10 miles and I'm working up to 3 x 25 miles (that'll be a fun weekend!). I'm also doing the Pilgrims Challenge race at the beginning of February (2 x 33 miles).


Speed/Strength

I had planned to do more speed work than I have been doing (I've been doing track sessions every other week or so), however I've found that if I try and push it too much I can feel it in my shins over the next few days, so in the interests of self preservation I have been holding off. The track sessions are a good opportunity to do some faster (if not fast) running.

For strength, I've been doing a set of core, upper body and leg strength training exercises, which is not something I have ever done before, but I think is having an effect and is a good way of breaking up the running. Hopefully the increased strength will improve my posture and endurance over long distances and help with carrying a heavy pack over 150 miles.  I have also been doing a proportion of my training with a pack, using copies of the Good Beer Guide for weights (they conveniently weigh approx 1 Kg each), and took a 5 Kg pack with me on my Boxing Day 32 miles. I need to increase this to 9- 10 Kg however ready for the MdS.

No comments:

Post a Comment